The 2018 Newton Democratic Caucus: A Primer
We will elect delegates to the State Convention on June 2
Delegates decide who makes the statewide primary ballot.
On Sunday, February 11 from 2:00 pm to (approximately) 6:00 pm at Newton South High School all eight wards in Newton will caucus to elect delegates to the Massachusetts Democratic State Convention in Worcester on Saturday, June 2.
- Click here to see Newton's delegate allocation for each ward.
If you are or will be registered to vote as a Democrat in Newton before then you are encouraged to participate. Any Newton resident who is a Democrat can participate by voting for delegates or running for delegate. First-timers welcome. You may register to vote at the caucus as a Democrat and participate. 17-year-olds who will be 18 as of September 18, 2018 may participate. The caucus is open to the public - anyone may come and observe. We are also hosting a food drive this day - click here for details. See caucus information below including a detailed Q&A.
Democratic, statewide candidates are welcome to speak briefly to each ward while the caucuses are taking place.
The 2018 Convention is a nominating convention - convention delegates decide who makes the ballot! Any candidate for statewide office, such as governor, must receive a minimum of 15 percent of delegates at the Convention in order to appear on the Democratic Primary Ballot.
The Official Caucus Schedule:
- 2:00 pm - school opens, ward chairs arrive for set-up
- 2:00 to 2:30 pm - caucus goers may also arrive to network, plan slates, organize in the Newton South High School main entrance area.
- 2:30 pm - Welcome from State Auditor Suzanne Bump and Mayor Ruthanne Fuller and nomination paper updates for Senator Elizabeth Warren and Congressman Joe Kennedy.
- 2:30 to 3:00 pm - Caucus registration begins - participants head to ward caucuses in classrooms at the school to sign in.
- 3:00 pm - doors close/convention caucus begins
- 3:00 pm to 3:15 pm - late arrival grace period - ward chairs will begin their caucus (reading of rules, process etc) but may not begin nominations or voting until 3:15 pm - any person who arrives between 3:00 pm and 3:15 pm may still enter, register and participate
- 6:00 pm (or before depending on each caucus) - caucus ends
ALL those who are registered to vote as Democrats in Newton are welcome and encouraged to participate in the 2018 caucus to elect delegates to the Democratic State Convention on June 2.
Still want to know more? Wondering what this is all about?
- Check out this detailed Q&A - email or call too with questions!